- Leaders of our volunteer organizations complain that politicians, like Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, only visit their organizations asking for support during an election year. I pledge to visit our volunteer organizations throughout my term as Plantation Councilman, Group 4.
- I believe that our city should develop a program that significantly supports, recruits and honors volunteers.
- I will lead the effort to have city staff devote more time to improving volunteer opportunities in our city.
II. FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Treat city budget spending decisions as if these decisions were about my family budget.
- I oppose giving the politicians, like Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, the authority to keep millage rate at 5.9 mils. The authority to keep the millage rate at 5.9 mils was passed by the City Council on July 13, 2016. My opponent rubber stamped Mayor Bendekovic’s request for authority to keep the millage rate at the MAXIMUM rate. The additional tax revenue from increased property values will be spent on unnecessary projects in this city. We need public servants who will think of your financial situation and not politician wish lists.
- It is time to let city residents keep more of their money instead of growing city government.
- City ad valorem revenue has increased from $36,667,714 in 2013 to projected $44,294,731 in FY 2016. This is a 20.80% increase. Has your income increased 20.80% in the last 4 years?
- I oppose two thirds of the upcoming bond referendum questions. Politicians, like Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, want multi-million dollar projects approved without a significant explanation. This type of practice is unacceptable and insulting to the residents of this city.
- I partially support the bond referendum question requesting $14,200.000 for Public Safety Improvements such as the proposed renovation of the fire station, acquisition of two fire trucks and equipment. I specifically oppose the proposal to spend $2,230,000 for a Gun Range as proposed in this referendum question. My opponent opposes none of the requests contained in this tax burden obligation.
- I specifically oppose the bond referendum question requesting $28,700.000 for Public Works Improvements because there is not a serious immediate need for these proposed improvements. For example, the politicians, like Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, want to replace all proposed public lighting with LED equipment. I propose that we replace this lighting on an immediate as needed basis. Plantation residents have told me that some of the existing roads are not in serious disrepair and there is not an immediate need for re-pavement. Once again, typical politicians, such as Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, propose spending millions of dollars of your money without an adequate explanation. My opponent totally agrees with his politician soulmate, Mayor Bendekovic, on this bond referendum.
- I specifically oppose the bond referendum question requesting $17,100,000 for Parks and Recreation Improvements because the existing parks and recreational facilities meet the City’s mission of providing quality, value-driven public services. It is not that I am opposed to improvements to our parks and recreational facilities. It is the politician solution to all problems. Take as much hard earned money from their constituents and spend lavishly on everything on their wish list.
- I am a pro business candidate. I am concerned when major tax paying businesses, like American Express, Doris Italian Market & Bakery, Whole Foods Market and Plantation General Hospital, relocate from Plantation to competing Broward cities. My opponent took no action to prevent these relocations.
- Tax paying citizens should not be penalized when the value of their most important asset increases. Politicians, like Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, have no problem with taking more money from their constituents on an annual basis.
- I oppose the proposed the one cent per dollar Local Government Infrastructure Surtax on all authorized taxable transactions occurring within Broward County, Florida (county sales tax). My opponent moved to adopt Resolution #12271 supporting this additional sales tax burden. This county sales tax, if passed, will provide another NINE MILLION DOLLARS to Plantation on top of the outrageous bond monies, maximum revenue from yet another tax increase and whatever tax Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent could create. How much money does Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent need to make all of their politician spending dreams come true?
- The politicians, such as Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, propose a 60,000,000 bond based on their feeling that a majority of the tax paying residents of our city support this outrageous proposal. A review of the data shows that renters heavily support this huge 30 year obligation. These renters don’t pay the tab. Homeowners pay the tab. Politicians, like Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, don’t seem to recognize the distinction.
- I support many of the proposed improvements contained in the three bond referendum questions. My overall objection is that the politicians, such as Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, want to spend money with no regard for the residents who will pay for all of these proposed improvements. This total bond was debated in the range of $20,000,000 for most of the past year. Yet, typical politicians, such as Mayor Bendekovic and my opponent, now offer our residents their politician spending dream package of $60,000,000; and
- I am not a professional politician like Mayor Bendekovic or my opponent. Perhaps the politicians can explain this bond referendum/hidden tax increase to this city’s residents in a more detailed manner. Most of the residents that I have spoken to recently have asked me two very simple questions: (1) Why are we paying more taxes when property values have risen 10% in the last year alone? and (2) What is the City wasting our money on this time?
III. RESPONSIVE PUBLIC SERVANT
- I want to focus on the word “servant” in the term public servant.
- I believe that public servants work for their constituents. You are the boss!
- I will promptly respond to every email, text, letter or personal visit as if it were a communication from one of my business clients.
- I will spend my first term as Councilman visiting with our residents asking about your opinions and concerns.
- I pledge to lead the effort to terminate any city employee who intentionally misleads the media and residents of our city about any city issue